Deadhold

Re: Deadhold

Postby Father Xmas » 05 Sep 2014, 15:26

also wtf those ppl aint playing myth with us ?

http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2014/09 ... -deadhold/
Father Xmas

Postby fisj » 05 Sep 2014, 19:41

Hey all,

I'm one of the devs on Deadhold. If you have any specific questions I'll do my best to answer them. :)

There's a thread up on the Tain forums where I've also been answering some questions from the community, along with a summary of what we're up to.

http://tain.totalcodex.net/forum/viewto ... f=2&t=6689

PS. Pyro, thanks for posting about Deadhold here!

-fisj
fisj

Postby BIG KROK V8 SS » 06 Sep 2014, 04:08

Please make it using sprites and better physics instead of trying to make it look as realistic and unplayable as possible (like Myth 3 and the flop it was).
BIG KROK V8 SS

Postby adrenaline » 06 Sep 2014, 07:00

kirk.. it's 2014 ffs...
adrenaline

Postby wwo » 06 Sep 2014, 13:20

Fisj. Holy shit. I just had a flashback involving TFL dwarf physics and 3-hour arguments about The Black Company.

[edit] Okay, so my question is: what were some of the literary inspirations for the setting?
wwo

Postby vinylrake » 06 Sep 2014, 20:17

Arsenal wrote:It seems cool but I can't get over just how much it looks like myth 3.

You should really try to get over it - it's not even a game yet, there's nothing to test, it's not even a demo yet, and all the artwork will change. What you see in the video was set up to test the code to see how the unit control, movement and physics and other underlying game mechanics work.
Last edited by vinylrake on 07 Sep 2014, 09:10, edited 1 time in total.
vinylrake

Postby BIG KROK V8 SS » 07 Sep 2014, 04:44

adrenaline wrote:kirk.. it's 2014 ffs...

Sprites are more accurate and precise and play better.
BIG KROK V8 SS

Postby shadow » 07 Sep 2014, 04:54

Kirk thinking in right way.
May be not sprites, but units moving and etc looks rly bad. Similar to M3.
shadow

Postby shadow » 07 Sep 2014, 05:47

fisj wrote:Hey all,

I'm one of the devs on Deadhold. If you have any specific questions I'll do my best to answer them. :)

There's a thread up on the Tain forums where I've also been answering some questions from the community, along with a summary of what we're up to.

http://tain.totalcodex.net/forum/viewto ... f=2&t=6689

PS. Pyro, thanks for posting about Deadhold here!

-fisj

Firstly.
This is actually best news in last decade. For MYTH community.
Secondly.
MYTH 2 is a brilliant game from Golden Era. (Myth TFL was great too)
Now, 16 years after, you guys trying to make spiritual remake for this game.
And I guess we must make points about what making that game so great.
1) Gameplay.
Advanced physics (esp in 1998) , game balance, units movements etc. Pleasure to just play in MYTH 2. (And look on M3, game suck in every move.)
By default, the best way is keep original gameplay. Cause you can make it worse but can you make it better ?
2) Community & Tourneys
That's why the show is keep going. MYTH is a competitive game. Singleplayer in this game is just warm up. So game need in-game tourney system, stats, ranks, record saving etc.

Graphic part is not so important, u can sacrifice it for gameplay.

Will be great if GKG spare his thoughts (if he not already behind that situation).
shadow

Postby fisj » 07 Sep 2014, 08:54

Shadow's right, this is a pretty good time to discuss MythI/II and pick out the best bits. Perhaps it might also be good to discuss some ideas on how Myth could be done better now. /gasp sacrilege! ;)

These are pretty much the discussions the deadhold devs had when we sat down and looked at everything for the first time.

So two questions:

1) What are your top 3 Myth features - essential core parts that make Myth, Myth.

2) What ways can we improve Myth? Imagine you're Bungie sitting and watching Braveheart eating pizza, and you find yourself in 2014 with computers that are 100 times faster - what crazy ass things would you design now that you're not facing the same technological limitations?

Also consider the cultural changes in games too. Myth was a pioneer in terms of online play, and imo set the standard for a long time, but the industry has moved farther and really expanded what it means to be online, beating the snot out of your friends on the battlefield. :)

Some responses to other questions, comments:

big krok - For me, this is one of those Damned if you do, damned if you don't situations. We're not using sprites because we're not doing a retro remake, but given that, I'd try to _really_ drill down into why sprites felt better. My take? Sprites often let the brain kinda fill in the gaps, and I suspect 3D can travel into an uncanny valley sometimes.

One example of something where we feel we have a definite improvement in the works is our rag-doll gibs. You can kick the severed bodies parts around with units and they're all floppy, its hugely entertaining.

The other issue with it "looking like myth3" can be hard to parse. If it looks like Myth III because it uses polygons, well, guilty as charged. However, in my opinion this probably falls into the "We didn't make the art style good/strong enough" category. We'll have to see how this progresses.

Deadhold will be a different game, there will be distinct differences (which we hope are for the better), but the good news is that this will be an iterative process where the community can help us shape the course we take. Sounds bullshitty, but that's my intention. :)

wwo - Much like myth, deadhold's story is an amalgam of different literary, historical and mythological sources. One definite influence was the Malazan Book of the Fallen series:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Malazan_Book_of_the_Fallen

I love and hate this series. Steven Erikson did so much right, and so much wrong. Ten freaking books! His character and world building was amazing, but it really failed (for me) in other places.

You might not believe me, but I didn't know the seventh book in the series was dedicated to Glen Cook, until I looked up the wiki page writing this post ... such a small world.

Good discussion! Thanks for the thoughts, and keep em coming.

-fisj
fisj

PreviousNext

Return to Free For All