Deadhold

Re: Deadhold

Postby par73 » 07 Sep 2014, 12:29

Arsenal wrote:It seems cool but I can't get over just how much it looks like myth 3.

i imagine that's because it's probably the only time you've ever seen myth characters with 3d models before in your lifetime.
par73

Postby par73 » 07 Sep 2014, 12:50

1 myth lobby
idk how this could even work in the modern era, but you need to utilize the same classic myth lobby organized in an old (ranked, tourney) and new (matchmaking, co-op). i feel like this aspect could also drive some players away, so there should be rooms with no chat and chat moderation. myth solidified itself as a game for adults and landed the mature rating, but i started playing when i was about 7 or 8

2 the controls
i liek them alot
however im not so sure they will work with a lot of gamers, especially if you were looking to push this to a console or a tablet as an app.
you have 4 aspects of control: camera control, formation control, preset control and function control. camera includes minimap, formations + the ability to change them, presets and unit selection, functions like special, scatter, taunt. i think that is very key in re-creating the experience.

3 the multiverse
myth is a very unique game in that one game could be the same as another game is of a very slim chance, probably smaller than wwo having kids at this point in his life. Myth is like a game of chess where the lines on your chess board no longer exist. The game was structured in it's physics and balance, but with limitless possibilities came the chaos that made this game so enjoyable for many. I call this, free style play.
The simplest most blunt way how i played myth to other people is to say 'there are dwarves that throw molotov cocktails to blow things up'
in retrospect of the game experience i had with mumbo jumbo's creation, this was limited and felt too clunky to actually be a believable aspect of the game. I call this a linear, one-month gaming experience.
par73

Postby drunken_deer » 08 Sep 2014, 02:24

TLTR PAR73. In Essence, do not make a rock papper sissors game and label it strategy.
drunken_deer

Postby par73 » 08 Sep 2014, 08:45

rock paper scissors game is strategy so please refrain from posting here again unless you're willing to post something constructive. i could probably beat you 9/10.

another thing i liked was the 16 player 8 on 8 games. would be interesting to see 12 on 12 or, gasp, 16 on 16, but the 8 on 8 was nice and comfortable for most maps and unit distributions. Even the 8 on 8's on small maps were comical and good fun if players didn't irrationally complain about getting 3 units.
par73

Postby Lod=Legend » 08 Sep 2014, 10:14

I DEMAND a alric replacement called LOD... With COMET behind name
Lod=Legend

Postby Lod=Legend » 08 Sep 2014, 10:15

WHY NOT 16 vs 16 ??????
Lod=Legend

Postby Lod=Legend » 08 Sep 2014, 10:15

SWITTERS !!!!!
Lod=Legend

Postby shadow » 08 Sep 2014, 11:54

Agree with par
1) Lobby is a big part of MYTH culture.
But how lobby must look in 2015 ? How lobby will keep few thousands (I hope) players ?

2) Controls, yeah. Also camera speed, formations adjustings etc must be in game controls.
Competative game.
MYTH is a PC game. 100% sure we don't need consoles, and especially tablet trash.
App-companion (for chatting in lobby, watching whos playing etc) for tablets is good idea, but game ? NEVER.

3)Agree. More ways for play, more chances for comebacks, more opportunities ... is better.
Also there must be options for control randomness (like - no duds in tourney games)
The Devil is in the details !

Also I might add:
- Tourney organazing system and advanced Ranking system based on game Stats (can add clans, friends, foes etc here)
That's pretty important for any competative game, and esp MYTH.
I will try explain my thoughts about it with some drawnings later.
shadow

Postby vinylrake » 08 Sep 2014, 18:13

shadow wrote:MYTH is a PC game. 100% sure we don't need consoles, and especially tablet trash...

Myth WAS a PC/Mac game, but Deadhold isn't Myth, and it isn't 1998 when the idea of releasing a game that ran on Macs and PCs was still a novelty. You might not need consoles or tablets or other handheld devices to play Deadhold on, but this is going to be a commercial game - e.g. the developers want to be paid for their time and effort - so the larger the range of platforms they can release the game on the wider the potential audience. Limiting the game to desktop/laptop isn't a smart thing to do - unless their market is solely made up of aging Myth players who are stuck in 1998. Plus the Unreal Engine they are using already allows them to make the game once and deploy it on all kinds of different platforms, why would they limit the game to just PCs/Macs?
vinylrake

Postby Myrk » 08 Sep 2014, 19:00

There's no way Myth could be played with a console controller.
Myrk

PreviousNext

Return to Free For All