Deadhold

Re: Deadhold

Postby punkUser » 08 Sep 2014, 19:28

Myrk wrote:There's no way Myth could be played with a console controller.

Yeah it's actually one of the few games that plays better with touch than a controller actually (it's actually doable with the former... not as good as mouse but quite playable).
punkUser

Postby c⁄J⁄Iılk c⁄J⁄Iån ◊§t◊ » 08 Sep 2014, 21:56

I'd like to see it so that games allow many more players but with a tiered captain system, so that a captain can assign lieutenants or whatever.

I also wonder if power units that are used only one or two at a time (like hgh or trow) could have a more complex fighting system, with their play incorporating elements of fighting games into the 3 dimensional environment à la Oni.
c⁄J⁄Iılk c⁄J⁄Iån ◊§t◊

Postby par73 » 09 Sep 2014, 05:01

a captain can assign lieutenants by saying 'A, B, North. A Split B.'
par73

Postby shadow » 09 Sep 2014, 06:32

vinylrake wrote:
shadow wrote:MYTH is a PC game. 100% sure we don't need consoles, and especially tablet trash...

Myth WAS a PC/Mac game, but Deadhold isn't Myth, and it isn't 1998 when the idea of releasing a game that ran on Macs and PCs was still a novelty. You might not need consoles or tablets or other handheld devices to play Deadhold on, but this is going to be a commercial game - e.g. the developers want to be paid for their time and effort - so the larger the range of platforms they can release the game on the wider the potential audience. Limiting the game to desktop/laptop isn't a smart thing to do - unless their market is solely made up of aging Myth players who are stuck in 1998. Plus the Unreal Engine they are using already allows them to make the game once and deploy it on all kinds of different platforms, why would they limit the game to just PCs/Macs?

You one of the developers ? I call MYTH 100% PC game not cause I have something against consoles and tablets etc.
How u gonna adapt squad-based RTT for consoles and esp. for tablets ?! What u gonna sacrifice for that ?
Who is your target audience on consoles and tablets ?
shadow

Postby punkUser » 09 Sep 2014, 12:03

shadow wrote:How u gonna adapt squad-based RTT for consoles and esp. for tablets ?! What u gonna sacrifice for that ?

You do know that Myth 2 has support (windows) tablets/touch since 1.8, right? In terms of what you sacrifice, the answer is basically just presets. The rest works pretty well (via band select and double click). Obviously you can't be quite as fast as with a mouse but as I've pointed out to folks, it's better than a touchpad (by far), and some people even play Myth with touchpads :)
punkUser

Postby browning » 09 Sep 2014, 16:11

m2's single unit micromanagement aspect is the most satisfying i've seen. instead of relying on hit rates and other random variables, you are in control of everything
the micro skill in a game like wc3 seems dumbed down in comparison

m3's gameplay felt sluggish (like those deadhold demos)
the movement, the animations, everything is just too slow
browning

Postby vinylrake » 09 Sep 2014, 18:40

shadow wrote:...You one of the developers ? I call MYTH 100% PC game not cause I have something against consoles and tablets etc.
How u gonna adapt squad-based RTT for consoles and esp. for tablets ?! What u gonna sacrifice for that ?

I am not in any way affiliated with the Deadhold team so I can't say who their target audience is, or what they would have to give up on different platforms but it's only common sense that when you are creating a commercial product (game/app/or other) that you want to make it accessible to the largest audience possible.

In terms of what is possible on different platforms look at the new apple watch. Most people said (or still say) smart watches were doomed to fail or be just a tiny niche market because the screens are too small to do touch screen gestures that everyone is used to. Apple changed the interface so instead of using the same user interface gestures you use on a phone or tablet, the watch uses a combination of touch along with a knob (seriously. you turn it to zoom in and out and move around) and a button so you can still use apps without your fingers blocking the screen. Sure the watch itself is overpriced and ridiculous, but it's a good example of how you can make something work if you aren't afraid to experiment with the interface.

I wouldn't want to play Myth using a console controller, and some things would be difficult to implement, but there are some things that could be given up. For example I think presets as they are would be near impossible to implement smoothly with a game controller (it would take forever to create them) but if there were a standard set of presets (e.g. mellee, missle, artilery, scouts, all-units) which could be cycled through quickly you could get a lot of the benefit of presets without the difficulty.) Likewise the overhead map with it's dynamic zooming/dragging-to-resize/etc would be a pain - or at least cumbersome, but if there were a few presets so you could switch between thumbnail, heads-up-transparent-overhead and no overhead that would probably meet 95% of player's needs in game.
vinylrake

Postby Pyro » 09 Sep 2014, 19:09

shadow wrote:How u gonna adapt squad-based RTT for consoles and esp. for tablets ?!

As PunkUser stated, Myth already has some Tablet support.
Pyro

Postby shinco » 10 Sep 2014, 03:24

shadow wrote:
vinylrake wrote:
shadow wrote:MYTH is a PC game. 100% sure we don't need consoles, and especially tablet trash...

Myth WAS a PC/Mac game, but Deadhold isn't Myth, and it isn't 1998 when the idea of releasing a game that ran on Macs and PCs was still a novelty. You might not need consoles or tablets or other handheld devices to play Deadhold on, but this is going to be a commercial game - e.g. the developers want to be paid for their time and effort - so the larger the range of platforms they can release the game on the wider the potential audience. Limiting the game to desktop/laptop isn't a smart thing to do - unless their market is solely made up of aging Myth players who are stuck in 1998. Plus the Unreal Engine they are using already allows them to make the game once and deploy it on all kinds of different platforms, why would they limit the game to just PCs/Macs?

You one of the developers ? I call MYTH 100% PC game not cause I have something against consoles and tablets etc.

Millions of people who own tablets and consoles?

shinco
shinco

Postby shadow » 10 Sep 2014, 09:14

I know PU.
Myth already has some (x86) Windows Tablet support u mean ?
They have like 3% of tablet market. Anyway this is pointless.
I'm not against new ways.

Just want hear answer from developers. What they think about platforms and audience.
Cause playing competitive squad-based RTT on PC/Mac and on consoles and tablets is really different stories.
As I remember they planned multiplayer release for PC in Q1 2015.

Also, great targeting shinco. Five balls.
shadow

PreviousNext

Return to Free For All